Friday 25 March, 2016.
Ear ache home remedies, natural ear ache treatment, how to relieve chronic ear ache pain with a home remedy.
Studies have shown that children who are given symptomatic relief but no antibiotics have recovered completely and had less recurring infections than children treated with antibiotics.
If you or your child has an occasional ear infection, a visit to the doctor and a course of antibiotics can help. But if you are suffering from chronic ear ache pain and constantly taking antibiotics, ear ache home remedies are really worth trying.
Warning – Do not put anything into the ear, unless it has been examined by a doctor to check that the ear drum is not perforated.
Of course, prevention of ear infections which cause the pain is the ideal!
My Best Ear Ache Home Remedies
For Immediate Relief:
Crush 1 clove of garlic into a teaspoon of olive oil; warm it to body temperature and gently insert a few drops into the ear. Garlic is an excellent antibiotic and the warm oil will also give ear ache pain relief.
For more effective relief, try a combination of garlic with mullein flowers and/or St. John’s wort flowers. The garlic oil can also be rubbed around the ear itself and along the side of the neck for doing a lymphatic drainage massage.
Essential oils are aromatic oils extracted from plants. Some are anti-viral and also boost your immune system – helping to fight an ear infection.
There are a number of ways that you can use essential oils as ear ache home remedies…
- Dilute 2-3 drops of essential oil (50-50) with warm olive oil.
- Swab the area around the opening of the ear, the outside part of the ear, and the ear lobe for an aromatic relief. Drop 2-3 drops of diluted essential oil on cotton wool ball and place it over the ear opening. Leave it overnight. Or use in a warm compress over the ear.
- Massage a few drops of essential oil on the ear lobes. Also massage and on the ear reflexology points on the feet (the bottom of the fourth and fifth toes).
Use single oils or a blend. Recommended oils for ear ache are
- Red Thyme
- Tea Tree
Remember to make sure that nothing smaller than your elbow should be pushed into the ear.
Lymph Drainage Massage
This ear ache treatment should relieve ear ache pain quickly.
- Lie the person on his or her side with the aching ear upward.
- Put the ear drops (garlic oil, onion juice, colloidal silver) in the ear.
- Hold the lower part of the ear and stretch and massage it. This helps the drops reach the eardrum which help the lymph to drain.
- Massage the ear for a few minutes and then use a “milking” technique to increase lymphatic drainage in the neck and throat. Place your finger in the indentation just under the ear and behind the jawbone. Gently stroke the down the neck from this point. Then massage the lymph nodes in the throat area as well. You will them as hardened, lumpy areas in the neck and throat. This dramatically increases the flow of lymph away from the ear.
- Repeat the same process once every hour or so until the person feels relief.
Heat is the greatest ear ache pain reliever. Place warm, moist heat around the ache. You can do this by heating up a washcloth in hot water or use a heating pad. Lay down with the affected ear on the heat. Do this for at least 30 minutes (heat up the washcloth when necessary). A warm compress also helps to stimulate circulation around the infected area which fights infection.
Ear pain is caused by swelling in the ear. You will notice that children, and yourself, complain less often of ear pain during the day because you are upright and distracted and the tubes in the ear drain more freely. When you lie down at night, the tubes fill, causing pain.
Raise the head of your bed, or the crib, with pillows or rest the mattress on books. This will facilitate draining of the tubes and help relieve the pressure and the pain.
Keep Mucus Thin
I don’t like to advocate meds for any condition but when ear ache home remedies are not bringing relief, it may be time to include decongestants and a vaporizer at night. These encourage the thinning of mucus in the ears and can help avoid infection. You can also use acetaminophen (like Tylenol) to relieve the ear pain.
Drinking fluids helps to keep mucus thin and flowing. The act of swallowing also opens the tubes and encourages them to drain. Fluids help your body fight infection.
Homeopathic medicine might not be one of your usual ear ache home remedies, but it very effective and extremely safe to use. Homeopathic medication comes from plants usually used in traditional medicine. A few come from animal sources, and others come from naturally occurring chemical compounds.
All homeopathic medicines are sold over the counter in health food stores where you should be able to get expert advice. Most homeopathic medicines sold for home use vary in potency from 3x to 30x. If you do try over-the-counter remedies, follow the manufacturers directions. For ear ache home remedies, or ear infection use: Belladonna, Chamomilla, Pulsatilla, Ferrum phos, Hepar sulph.
For Chronic Ear Infection
Ear aches most often develop through an infection, often following a cold or sinusitis. We recommend a total program aimed at eliminating any form of colds or flu which lead to mucus build-up and ear ache pain.
Check For Allergies
Allergies are a major cause of ear infections. Determine if you or your child has a food or inhalant allergy. The most common food allergens include wheat, dairy, eggs, corn, citrus, and peanut butter. Dairy products like milk, butter, cheese tend to aggravate ear infections, so definitely avoid them during an ear infection. The most important of all ear ache home remedies is to modify your diet in order to control allergies.
Vitamin C and Zinc
Add Vitamin C to your daily supplements as one of your ear ache home remedies. This will strengthen your immune system and protect you from colds and flu. Vit C is a natural antibiotic and antihistamine, it helps to decrease inflammation and fever. Also include zinc in your diet as it reduces ear infection.
Ear Ache and Babies
- To help prevent the development of allergies in babies, breast feed for as long as possible.
- Never allow your baby to drink from a bottle whilst lying down, as the fluid can collect in the ear and start an infection. Even while breast feeding, try and keep the head slightly elevated.
- Introduce new foods one by one to babies; check carefully for any reaction.
Finally, if your or your child has a tendency to develop ear ache and ear infections, you should avoid cigarette smoke, which has been shown to promote respiratory infections.
Remember to use ear ache home remedies for prevention and keep those infections away!
Foot Massage Equipment especially selected for you. Treat yourself or a friend to a Foot Massage gift!
Go to DIY Stress Relief Home