Meaning of grief; grief definition; what is grief?
You feel tearful, depressed, disinterested in life, tired, angry and other distressing feelings and need to know if it is a stage of grief. Find out all about bereavement and grieving.
Grief is a normal response to a loss. Bereavement is actually the condition of loss, whilst grief and grieving is our reaction to bereavement.
We usually associate grief with the death of someone or something with whom we have strong bonds. But it is important to remember that the upsetting feelings may be grief for the loss of a job, a relationship, a child leaving home or any other change in our life such as ill health, that means letting go of a familiar situation
When we loose someone or something that is close to us, we react in a number of ways. Usually we think of grief as an emotional reaction, but we also experience physical, social, cognitive, spiritual and philosophical reactions.
Once you identify your distress as feelings related to grief, be gentle with yourself and know that it is a process which passes through different stages of grief. Each stage may be experienced differently for different people. It is important not to get stuck in any of the stages. If you feel that this is happening to you, get help!
Meaning of Grief
The goal and meaning of grief is the acceptance of your loss and to keep moving forward with your life in a healthy and constructive way. Grieving means personal growth and you cannot expect to emerge at the other end of the grief cycle being the same person as when you started. It might be difficult to view the meaning of grief in a positive way, but, if handled in a careful and mindful way, grief can expose us to strong parts of ourselves that we have not known before.
Help with Grief and Grieving
I always find a good book very helpful. Once you have read the book, you can dip into it as and when you feel the need. And you can lend it to an interested friend…
- About Grief: Insights, Setbacks, Grace Notes, TaboosRon Marasco and
- On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of LossBefore her own death in 2004, Elisabeth Kübler-Ross and David Kessler completed On Grief and Grieving, which looks at the way we experience the process of grief.
More Information on the Meaning of Grief
- If you are battling to cope with your loss or are not sure what to expect next, please contact us and we will be very happy to talk to you or suggest a suitable next step.
- A bereavement ritual honours the person, pet, job, relationship, or whatever or whoever has died.
- The 7 Stages Of Healing will make you aware of the stages of grief that are common in dealing with loss.
- My selection of Bereavement Poems might offer you a feeling of being connected to others who are experiencing bereavement.
- You may know someone feeling grief. It is not always easy to know how to handle someone else’s grief. “What To Say In A Time Of Grief?” is a helpful article.
- Have you lost a beloved 4 – legged family member? It is heartbreaking! Our Pet Loss Poems offer you comfort.
- Have a look at our Quotes on Grief to share the thoughts of others who have suffered grief from bereavement.