Friday 05 August, 2016.
We often hear of the menace that pesticides pose! But how bad are they, really?…
After, all we don’t literally SEE them hanging around on street corners waiting to harm us…
Read the few facts below and decided for yourself…
8 Facts about Pesticides
- There are over 21,000 different pesticides on the U.S. market containing over 875 active compounds. Many of these have been proven to have health implications and the others are unknown.
- In the study, “Food and the Environment: A Consumer’s Perspective,” 86 percent of respondents said they believe there is a connection between the health of the environment and their own well-being.
- The EPA estimates that US sales of pesticides in 2000-2001 exceeded $11 billion dollars, thus representing over 2 billion pounds of pesticides being dumped on U.S. farm soil, homes, gardens, schools, golf courses and more. This number is about 8 pounds for every man, woman and child in the entire country.
- EPA estimates that there are approximately 20,000 physician diagnosed pesticide poisonings each year among agricultural workers. These are only the ones which have been reported.
- Since 1945, total U.S. crop losses from insect damage have nearly doubled. During the same time, insecticide use has increased tenfold. Today, seventy-one known carcinogenic pesticides are sprayed on food crops. (In Harmony’s report, “Pesticides: Losing Their Effectiveness”)
- According to the U.S. General Accounting Office, only 1% of all imported fruits and vegetables are tested by the Food and Drug Administration for illegal pesticide residues.
- The EPA reports that Americans ingest and are exposed to over 167 times more dioxin every day than the acceptable daily level.
- The CDC has gone on record as stating… “Pesticides are toxic to life forms by their very design”.
Article sourced from mountainroseherbs.com