Friday 08 July, 2016.
Zen quotes, zen sayings, zen mindfulness and more daily inspirational thoughts to inspire and motivate you.
Zen mindfulness encourages you to be calm and in the moment. Zen sayings give you inspiration to do just that.
Choose your favorite and use it as inspiration for your day.
Here are our favorite Zen sayings.
“I cannot tell if what the world considers ‘happiness’ is happiness or not. All I know is that when I consider the way they go about attaining it, I see them carried away headlong, grim and obsessed, in the general onrush of the human herd, unable to stop themselves or to change their direction. All the while they claim to be just on the point of attaining happiness.”
“1. Don’t wish for perfect health. In perfect health, there is greed and wanting. So an ancient said, ” Make good medicine from the suffering of sickness.”
2. Don’t hope for life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind. So an ancient once said, “Accept the anxieties and difficulties of this life”.
3. Don’t expect your practice to be clear of obstacles. Without hindrances the mind that seeks enlightenment may be burnt out. So an ancient once said, “Attain deliverance in disturbances”
~ Kyong Ho ~
“The process of practice is to see through, not to eliminate, anything to which we are attached. We could have great financial wealth and be unattached to it, or we might have nothing and be very attached to having nothing…
Usually, if we have seen through the nature of attachment, we will have a tendency to have few possessions, but not necessarily. Most practice gets caught in this area of fiddling with our environments or our minds. “My mind should be quiet”. Our mind doesn’t matter; what matters is non-attachment to the activities of the mind. And our emotions are harmless unless they dominate us , that is, if we are attached to them – then they create dis-harmony for everyone.
The first problem in practice is to see that we are attached.
As we do consistent, patient zazen we begin to know that we are nothing but attachments; they rule our lives.
But we never lose an attachment by saying it has to go. Only as we gain true awareness of its true nature does it quietly and imperceptibly wither away; like a sandcastle with waves rolling over, it just smooths out and finally Where is it? What was it?”
~ Charlotte Joko Beck ~ From Everyday Zen: Love and Work
“How shall I help the world?”
“By understanding it,” said the Master.
“And how shall I understand it?”
“By turning away from it.”
“How then shall I serve humanity?”
“By understanding yourself.”
“Is there anything I can do to make myself Enlightened?”
“As little as you can do to make the sun rise in the morning.”
“Then of what use are the spiritual exercises you prescribe?”
“To make sure you are not asleep when the sun begins to rise.”
~ Anthony De Mello ~ From One Minute Wisdom
- Zen Sayings has more great zen quotes for you to enjoy!
- An Introduction to Zen Buddhism
- The Three Pillars of Zen: Teaching, Practice, and Enlightenment
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Zen Living, 2nd Edition
- Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
- Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind (Shambhala Library)
- Zen Heart: Simple Advice for Living with Mindfulness and Compassion
- An Introduction to Zen Buddhism
If you have enjoyed Zen Quotes, you might enjoy…
- Inspirational Attitude Sayings
- Quotes About Attitude
- Quotes On Motivation
- Quotes On Gratitude
- Thank You Quotes
- Quotes On Forgiveness
- Quotes About Relationships
- Funny Thought For The Day
- Meditation Quotes
Set your mind to be calm and centered each day, practice non-attachment and start living better everyday!