An Altered State of Consciousness
Friday 05 August, 2016.
Alpha meditation is one of the stages of meditation, a relaxed state of mind or daydream.
Do you know the benefits of meditation and how to use meditation for stress relief?
Read on to use a simple meditation exercise to access the alpha state..
Most of us go into a light alpha meditation state during the course of our day without even being aware of it…
Have you ever been involved in some sort of activity like driving to work or cleaning the house and suddenly you realize the journey is over, or the house cleaned? It all seemed to go by so quickly and you seemed to be on automatic pilot.
What actually transpired was that your subconscious mind took over for a while. That part of mind that knows your routine well and allowed you to daydream for a short period of time…
You were in an altered state of mind – an unplanned alpha meditation.
We normally go into this stage naturally when falling asleep but that does not mean we can do it naturally before learning to meditate.
To get into the alpha state purposefully takes a bit of practice, the more often you meditate, the easier it will be to enter this relaxed state of mind.
What Is The Alpha Meditative State
There are four stages that we experience on a regular basis which can be measured by an electroencephalogram machine that measures the electrical output of the brain.
- Beta stage – our everyday normal awake state – measured at 13-20 cycles per second
- Alpha stage – relaxed, meditative but focused thinking, body and brain beginning to relax – measured at 8-12 cycles per second
- Theta stage – deep meditative state, creative and insightful – measured at 4-7 cycles per second
- Delta stage – deep sleep and dream state – measured at 0-3 cycles per second
An EEG(electroencephalograph)1 second sample of Alpha stage
Alpha meditative state taps into the state of consciousness between being completely awake and nearly asleep. In a busy world where sleep doesn’t always have the effect it is meant to, alpha meditation is a powerful method where you can refresh yourself and bring about positive changes, both in your body and your spirit.
Benefits of Alpha Meditating
- Improves your concentration, clarity of thinking, decision making and memory
- Calms your body and mind while it maintains alertness
- Stimulates imagination, intuition and higher awareness
- Allows you to sleep better, to fall asleep easily and to sleep through the night peacefully
- Lowers levels of cortical – keeps you healthier by boosting your immune system
- Alpha waves are known to increases level of DHEA and Melatonin
Simple Alpha Mediation Exercise
We find the benefits of this relaxing type of meditation so useful in our hurried and stressful lives that we want to give it a page on it’s own…
More Useful Information
- Transcendental Meditation
- Simple Meditation Exercises
- Mindful Walking Meditation
- Meditation To Relieve Stress
- Meditation For Anxiety
- Meditating With Crystals