Friday 25 March, 2016.
Home remedies for varicose veins, natural treatment for varicose veins, varicose veins treatments, prevention of varicose veins, varicose veins symptoms, varicose veins during pregnancy.
Four times more women than men are affected with varicose veins. These are enlarged, swollen veins in the legs, often bluish and bulging.
But do not despair! there are natural ways for you to manage varicose veins!
Varicose Veins Symptoms
Varicose veins usually do not usually cause pain. Signs of varicose veins include:
- Veins that are blue or purple in colour.
- Veins that look like bulging cords on your legs.
- A feeling of heaviness or fatigue in the legs.
If you do experience discomfort as a result of varicose veins, you may experience:
- A heavy or aching feeling in your legs.
- Burning muscles.
- Swelling in your lower legs or leg cramps.
- Itching over one or more of your veins. Skin ulcers may also occur.
Spider veins are similar to varicose veins, but they are closer to the surface and cause little problem. Deeper veins or varicose ulcers can be a serious problem and need to be seen by a doctor.
Prevention of Varicose Veins
Varicose veins involve weakness in the vein valves that move blood from the legs back to the heart. This weakness can be hereditary, but is commonly caused by standing or sitting in one place (particularly with crossed legs) for long periods of time. It is also caused by obesity, pregnancy and constipation, lack of exercise, poor spinal or body mechanics, bad diet and Vit E and C deficiencies.
A good start for preventing varicose veins is to be aware of the above causes and take steps to rectify any of those that apply to you.
Constipation is a major cause and controlling it is a large part of the cure. For more on natural prevention of constipation, have a look at natural constipation remedies.
Home Remedies For Varicose Veins
Vitamins and Minerals
- Along with your daily multiple vitamin and mineral supplement, for home remedies for varicose veins include a Vit B-Complex-50 two or three times a day. Folic acid, B-6 and B-12 are important for healing.
- Take Liquid Lecithin (one to two tablespoons) with meals for circulation.
- Take 1000 – 6000 mg daily (be careful of bowel tolerance) of Vit C with Bioflavonoids , to promote healing, reduce bruising and to prevent or dissolve blood clots.
- Use Vit A (25,000 IU per day), and Vitamin E starting at 400 IU and increasing slowly (add 100 IU per week) to 1000 – 1200 IU daily.
- Take a complete calcium/magnesium supplement (1500 mg calcium to 750 mg magnesium), 1000 IU of Vitamin D, and 50-80 mg of zinc. We recommend a simple all-in-one supplement such as Nature Made Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc with Vitamin D, With D-3 .
- Essential fatty acids (evening primrose oil, salmon oil, black current oil) are helpful in home remedies for varicose veins.
A number of herbs can be used externally as compresses or poultices to treat swollen veins. These include: witch-hazel, calendula (marigold), sage (apply hot), wood sorrel, white oak bark, horse chestnut, oat straw, stone root and black walnut.
Herbs that are useful in treating varicose veins internally in the form of a tea or tincture, include: white oak bark, centella, horse chestnut, butcher’s broom, black walnut, marshmallow, oat straw, stone root, as well as cayenne, ginger, rue or prickly ash to increase circulation.
Use yarrow, parsley or dandelion for swollen ankles as home remedies for varicose veins .
- A cleansing diet is a good way to jump start your system and improve circulation and control constipation. have a look at our cleansing diet for constipation or use a cleansing diet that you find comfortable. (Do not continue if you feel unduly dizzy or ill.)The goal for varicose vein treatment is regular elimination without constipation, as constipation puts pressure on the veins.
- Increase your exercise. Start by taking brisk walks.
- Foods to eat include fish, fruits and raw vegetables, complex carbohydrates and unsaturated fats.. berries are good when treating varicose veins naturally as they contain bioflavonoids which strengthen the blood vessels. Include cherries, blueberries and blackberries in your diet. garlic and onions are important, as is drinking enough water. Go easy on animal fats and animal proteins, dairy products, junk foods, processed and refined foods, sugar, fried foods and smoking. Cut down the alcohol and salt content in your diet… All good advice for a generally healthy lifestyle!
- Elevate the affected leg whenever possible. You can do this by raising the foot of your bed by four inches. Lying with your chest lower than your hips allows the veins to drain.
- Massage can be used, but general massage may cause damage to the fragile capillary walls. Lightly massage the legs in an upward direction, but not directly over bulged veins. Have a look at the Aromatherapy section for a good massage blend.
- Wear support stockings or wrap bandages, being very careful not to constrict circulation. Avoid crossing legs, heavy lifting or putting pressure on the legs and veins. Wear clothing that does not restrict blood flow.
All of the above suggestions for home remedies for varicose veins are helpful. Find what works for you and include it in your daily routine.
Homeopathy and Cell Salts
- Hamamelis Tincture in either lotion or ointment form is good for external use, and can also be taken internally every three hours in pellet form.
- Fluoric acid is useful for varicose veins without ulcers, where there are knots in the veins. Use Arnica for veins that feel bruised and Mercurius for ulcerated and infected veins. Pulsatilla is used for treating varicose veins during and after pregnancy.
Visit your local health shop and consult a trained consultant for more useful advise.
This is one of my favorite home remedies for varicose veins as it is generally relaxing and stress relieving. Massage your whole hands or feet three times daily, then follow by working the reflexes for the heart, spleen, kidneys, pancreas, liver, gall bladder, stomach, leg/knee/hip/lower back, and colon. Work the lymph gland reflexes on the tops and sides of the feet as well. Never use pressure over ulcerated, bulging or varicose veins themselves.
Make a massage oil as follows and use it during the day as one of your home remedies for varicose veins.
- Geranium essential oil – 10drops
- Cypress essential oil – 15 drops
- Hyssop essential oil – 5 drops
Mix in 30ml of vegetable oil.
Add 10 drops at a time to a foot bath or massage with the formula and then put your feet up for an hour.
Other good essential oils to use as a natural treatment for varicose veins include: calendula, lavender, rosemary, cypress and lemon. Use them singly or together.
Hold or wear Raw Amber or natural citrine for cleansing the lymphatic system. You can also use bloodstone for the blood vessels and veins.
This is an interesting aspect of home remedies for varicose veins!
Ask yourself – Who do I want to kick? – Are you standing in a situation where you feel hate, discouragement, resentment? Are you giving out more than you receive? Release the anger by kicking a pillow until you feel relief. And then have a look at your life and see if you need to make some changes so that you feel more comfortable about your “standing”.
We always say that there is nothing better than a good book on any subject!
Have this great advice at your finger tips!