Friday 25 March, 2016.
All about shingles natural treatment and a home remedy for shingles. Are shingles contagious? Causes of shingles and symptoms of shingles virus.
Causes of Shingles
Shingles are caused by the herpes zoster virus; the same virus that gives you chicken pox.
Symptoms of Shingles Virus
The symptoms of shingles virus begins with itching, burning or a paining sensation in a particular part of the body. After a few days, blisters and a rash appears. The blisters tend to form a ring on the abdomen or chest, although they may also affect the neck, lower back, forehead and eyes. They last for up to two weeks before they form a crust and then heal.
Unfortunately, you can still experience the pain of the shingles long after the rash has disappeared.
How Do You Get Shingles?
If you have had chicken pox, the virus that caused it could be hibernating in your spinal nerves for years. a trigger can cause the virus to move towards the nerve endings in the skin surface causing the rash and blisters that are symptoms of the shingles virus.
These triggers can include stress, fatigue, exposure to someone with chicken pox, immune system deficiency, use of anticancer drugs, Hodgkins disease and other cancers.
Note: You cannot catch shingles from someone else unless you have never had chicken pox yourself! If you have shingles, you should be very careful to avoid pregnant women who have not had chicken pox as you could infect both the mother and the unborn child.
Treating shingles takes a twofold plan: to prevent the pain and to prevent the aftereffects.
If you suspect that you have shingles, you need to consult your doctor. You will probably be prescribed acyclovir (Zovirax) to relieve the pain and discomfort. In addition to this, you should include shingles natural treatment to relieve and prevent further symptoms of shingles virus.
Some doctors prescribe steroids, but there is controversy about the effectiveness of steroids in relieving shingles. Furthermore, steroids can undermine the immune system and cause further complications.
Fortunately, there are natural remedies for shingles that have proved to be effective.
Shingles Natural Treatments
- Cold CompressesThe first and most basic shingles natural treatment is to apply cold, wet dressings to the rash. Use washcloths wrung out in cold water. You can store them in the freezer if you want them to be colder.
- Lysine Cream
Lysine Cream is available in health stores or on-line. Apply topically to the lesions. Use twice daily or as directed on the package.
- Home-made ointment
Make this excellent topical remedy for shingles. Mash two aspirins (do not use aspirin substitutes) and mix with two tablespoons of chloroform. If you cannot get chloroform, use Vaseline Intensive Care lotion. Apply to the lesions with a clean cotton wool ball and let it dry.
- Calamine Lotion
Calamine Lotion is very soothing when applied to the lesions. It relieves the pain and dries the rash.
- Vitamin E
Using Vitamin E both orally and on the lesions directly can give relief from shingles pain. Take a Vitamin E capsule daily. You need 600 I.U. Plus, cut off the tip of a Vit E capsule and squeeze the contents onto the lesions.
- Vitamin C Vitamin C 1000 is another home remedy for shingles. Vit C is said to promote healing in the body. Take 2 to 3 g. (1,000 mg) every 6 hours at the first sign of pain and continue until the lesions clear.
- Foods to Avoid
Stay away from arginine-rich foods such as chocolate, nuts and especially peanuts, seeds and cereal grains. Arginine is an amino acid found in these foods which promotes herpes growth.
- Zostrix OintmentOnce the lesions have healed, apply Zostrix Cream to reduce any lingering pain. You can get Zostrix lotion without prescription. The main ingredient is capsaicin, which is found in hot peppers. It might sting when you first apply it to your skin, but this is good! It works by reducing messages of pain to your brain.
Acupuncture has been found to be good for relieving the pain of shingles virus infection. It also helps with any pain after the infection has cleared.
More Useful Information
- Natural Immune System Boosters Home Remedies to help keep you healthy and disease free.
- 50 Signs Of Stress will let you know when you are heading for trouble and need to take steps to manage your stress.
- Effective and simple-to-use relaxation techniques for beating stress and coping with anxiety.
- Stress Relieving Herbs are a great natural home remedy to keep healthy and calm.
The above information can be at your fingertips in this great book!