Easy Relaxation Techniques
Friday 05 August, 2016.
Body scan meditation is one of the most simple, effective ways to manage stress.
Your reactions to things that stress you will be stored in your body; your physical self holds memories of stress. Research has shown that your ‘mind’ is not just in your head – all the different cells and tissues in your body are capable of holding emotional patterns. Often you are unaware of the level of discomfort that you are actually holding.
Use this ten minute body scan meditation exercise to increase your understanding of where you hold tension in your body. Once you identify this, you will be able to recognise it immediately and take steps to overcome it.
This exercise needs you to be focused and aware – it might help to make a tape recording of it to follow.
10 Minute Body Scan Meditation
- Find a quiet place where you can be undisturbed. Choose a comfortable chair with a straight back , eyes closed, legs uncrossed, hands resting loosely in your lap.
- Take 3 deep slow breaths, and enjoy the out breath each time.
- Now focus your attention inside yourself and imagine that you are taking a journey through your body. Keep breathing regularly, and start your journey at your head, then into your neck, shoulders, arms and hands, chest, abdomen, back hips, legs and feet.
- Now – as you journey – where do you notice tension? Is it in your shoulders? Your back? Your legs? You may well find more than one area. Make a mental note of where these sites are.
- When you have completed this inner body scan meditation; take your awareness back to each area of tension. when you are there, notice any sensations of discomfort or any emotions that arise. Try not to judge them, just observe them – as if they are on a tv screen.
- Now breathe deeply and imagine that you are sending deep warmth into the tension site, dissolving any negativity. Breathe this warm sensation into the area and note what happens.
- When you have visited all the areas you identified, breathe deeply again twice and stretch your fingers and toes before opening your eyes.
Don’t worry if you feel you have not dissolved all the tension in one go – you may need to repeat this exercise a few times before you feel the difference. The more you practise, the more you may begin to notice the typical locations in your body where you store stress. getting to know these parts through body scan meditation is really important – then you can choose the right tools to help you relax them.
If you want to learn more about meditation for stress relief, we recommend a good book!
Meditation For Dummies (Book and CD edition)
Meditation for Dummies is a simple, clear introduction to the basics of meditation, including an overview of dozens of techniques, practices, and specific meditations, plus direction for going deeper. You get step-by-step instructions for a variety of meditations, including body position, mental concentration, where to put your attention, what to contemplate or notice, physical movements, and breathing.
A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
In A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook, mindfulness experts Bob Stahl and Elisha Goldstein adapt Kabat-Zinn’s groundbreaking program into an accessible workbook format. You use this book once a week for eleven weeks, gradually improving your ability to relieve intense stress and reconnect with the present.
The workbook invites readers to participate in formal and informal practices and use fill-in exercises to reflect and track their progress. After each weekly session, readers can apply the techniques they learned that week into everyday life, gradually learning to replace stress-promoting habits with mindful ones.
Pick of the Day!
- How To Use Colour For Your Home
- Feng Shui Bedroom Colour Colour
- Zen Mindfulness
- Funny Thought For The Day
- Self Esteem Quotes
Crystals for Healing: Crystal Therapy in Multi Dimensions by Margaret Loris
Learn to use crystals and stones as energy transmitters of spiritual information and vibration. Discover the secrets of these powerful and dynamic tools by enrolling in this comprehensive online crystal course today! Learn more here.