What is important to know about essential oils and pregnancy?
Can you use essential oils during pregnancy?
What is the best way to use aromatherapy in pregnancy?
Essential oils are completely natural. However, it is important to be aware that they are highly concentrated and need to be used safely and correctly, especially during pregnancy.
There is actually no evidence that has been found that suggests unborn babies have been harmed due to the use of essential oils during pregnancy, but you must follow the suggestions below and consult a qualified aromatherapist if you are in doubt.
This is a very exciting time and you want to do what is best for yourself and for your baby…
Points To Remember About Essential Oils And Pregnancy
- It is generally recommended to use essential oils only after the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
- It is important not to swallow any essential oils if you are pregnant, lactating or breastfeeding.
- Any oils you use on yourself for massage or in the bath should be in very weak dilutions. Use half the number of stated drops in a recipe.
- Use flower and fruit oils only as these are very gentle.
- Choose a vegetable oil like sweet almond oil or avocado oil – both are high in essential fatty acids and vitamins A, D and E and can be easily and deeply absorbed.
For really great information on essential oils, read the book Ayurveda & Aromatherapy: The Earth Essential Guide to Ancient Wisdom and Modern Healing by Light Miller, N.D. and Brian Miller, D.C.
Safe Essential Oils To Use During Pregnancy
bergamot, chamomile roman, eucalyptus, grapefruit, lavender, lemon, neroli, patchouli, rosewood, sandalwood, spearmint, tea tree and ylang ylang.
Essential Oils To Avoid During Pregnancy
basil, cedar wood, cinnamon, clary sage, clove, cypress, fennel, hyssop, jasmine, juniper, lemongrass, myrrh, parsley and pennyroyal. Some of these oils have hormone-like properties that could cause miscarriage or early labor, while others may be toxic to the baby.
Oils To Avoid In First Trimester
chamomile, frankincense, geranium, melissa, rose
Being pregnant is exciting but also exhausting – you need to spoil yourself!
Try our favourite essential oil recipes to use during pregnancy
Don’t have all the necessary oils?
More Useful Information